Book Review || Emmy and Oliver

19:52




I picked up Emmy & Oliver due to the review and rating my friend Jonas gave it and I have to say I was not disappointed. At first I was afraid that Emmy & Oliver was going to be another Eleanor & Park (a book that I didn't like as much), but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself truly enjoying the story.

Emmy and Oliver is a story about two friends - Emmy and Oliver, duh. When they're young, Oliver disappears. Ten years later, he finally returns but he's not quite the same. No one is. With so many years away from each other and all the things that have happened, will Emmy and Oliver's friendship last?

I wasn't quite sure what I'd think of this book. After all, I'm not a big contemporary fan, owning only 10 to 15 full contemporary physical books. The idea itself seemed interesting enough, I wasn't sure whether it was going to talk about the whole disappearing thing more or more about the fitting back into society after you come back.

Oliver, to his credit, said a lot of interesting things about what happened to him. I grew attached to him and felt deeply sorry for the things he was going through.

Emmy, to her credit, wasn't bad either. I have a small issue with the whole doing things without telling your parents so that later on in the book drama comes when parents finally find out but because of the whole Oliver-disappearing-thing, it makes sense for her parents to be overprotective. And it makes sense, more or less, for Emmy to dislike that overprotectiveness and not tell her parents everything.

Though I felt like Drew's sexuality was rushed in a bit too much, I enjoyed how that worked out as well. 

So the book had some small issues and scenes that I didn't quite like but overall, it was sweet and cute but with the right amount of sad things as well. A quick, nice read and something to curl up with on your couch.


Amount of stars given:

4.2

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts